We know we are supposed to be “good” all year long. At the same time, we know that it’s hard. We’re stressed, overwhelmed, scared… This is why the weeks leading up to Christmas are a great time to slightly change some of our habits,and try to behave a bit differently at work, with our friends, and with our family. Kids love Christmas, not only because they get presents, but because they are able to spend more time with their parents and friends and feel energized by the magic of this festivity. If you are not feeling the Christmas Spirit yet, here’s how to awaken it!
1. GET SUFJAN STEVENS’ CHRISTMAS ALBUM “Silver and Gold”
It’s just beautiful. It will make you feel Christmas’ complexity and charm.
2. SAY ONE NICE THING PER DAY TO A PERSON YOU DON’T KNOW.
Compliment someone for their outfit, or for the color of their eyes; thank the driver of the bus that takes you home, smile to the cashier at the supermarket. There are many chances to be nice to strangers!
3. PLAY WITH YOUR KIDS AT LEAST 30 MINUTES PER DAY BEFORE PUTTING THEM TO BED
Invent games, read them stories, build something together, or let Timbuktu inspire you. If your kids are toddlers, find 5 funny games here.
4. CALL A BABYSITTER AND GO OUT FOR DINNER WITH YOUR PARTNER.
We always promote involving kids in your activities, but you shouldn’t forget that you and your partner need to spend time together and take a break from the routine. If you two are a happy couple, your kids will be happy kids.
5. VISIT A RELATIVE YOU HAVEN’T SEEN IN A LONG TIME.
It’s important that kids know their family and build relationships with their relatives. Knowing that their family is part of a bigger entity will make them feel safer, and it will strengthen family bonds.
6. IF YOU HAVEN’T DONE SO ALREADY, DECORATE YOUR HOUSE WITH THE WHOLE FAMILY.
Build decorations together, cook something special, play some Christmas songs, and make it a party!
7. WRITE A LETTER TO A FRIEND WHO LIVES FAR AWAY.
It might sound old fashioned, but that’s what exactly what makes it special.
8. COOK DINNER WITH YOUR KIDS.
The illustrated recipes you find on Timbuktu are perfect for that.
9. WATCH CHRISTMAS MOVIES.
10. BRAINSTORM WITH YOUR KIDS ABOUT PRESENTS FOR YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS.
You can even create some fake presents to see your relatives’ reactions! Your kids will love to be part of the scheme.
11. HELP YOUR KIDS WRITE THEIR LETTER TO SANTA CLAUS.
On December 5th, you’ll find a guide about how to write the ultimate letter to Santa on Timbuktu.
12. BUY YOURSELF A SPECIAL PRESENT.
Come on, you deserve it.
13. SEND COOL CHRISTMAS CARDS TO YOUR FRIENDS.
Needless to say, the coolest cards are on Timbuktu. On December 2nd, we are going to publish a game from artist Jacopo Rosati. You’ll be able to dress up Santa Claus and create amazing, personalized Christmas Cards.
15. FIND A CHARITY IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD AND SPEND SOME TIME THERE.
It’s a great chance to meet new people and to do something important for yourself and for the people around you.
16. TAKE A GREAT CHRISTMAS FAMILY PORTRAIT.
Add your tips to get into the Christmas Spirit in the comments!